Sam leads Ikeyi Shittu & Co.’s Labour practice. He also co-leads the Dispute Resolution and Litigation practice of the firm. He routinely advises employers on issues arising from engagement, discipline or disengagement of employees as well trade union related matters. He also advises on a wide range of issues arising from the structuring, implementation and or failure of commercial transactions.
Sam has advised on the acquisition and transfer of mineral rights, as well as the setting up of mining operations, in Nigeria. He also assists with structuring and documentation of investment in the solid minerals industry.
He has represented various clients, including state governments, multinational companies and political parties and their candidates, in the prosecution and defence of lawsuits bordering on labour and employment matters, commercial transactions, and election-related matters. He has successfully litigated several high-profile cases before the Nigerian superior courts of record, including the Supreme Court.
Representative matters in which Sam has been involved include –
- Leading multinational retail company: advisory support on various labour and employment issues arising from its day to day operations.
- Leading multinational retailer: representation in labour-related disputes before the Industrial Arbitration Panel and the National Industrial Court.
- South-eastern state government: prosecution of several labour-related lawsuits.
Chinese conglomerate; advisory support on acquisition of mineral rights and operation of its mining business in Nigeria.
- Mining company: advisory support on transfer of existing mineral rights under the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.
- Holder of a Nigerian mining licence: advisory and transaction support on start-up and operation of mining asset in Ebonyi State of Nigeria.
State government: representation in high-profile suit filed by the Attorney-General of Lagos State challenging the validity of the Value Added Tax Act .
- Three Nigerian leading banks: representation in various litigation including disputes with former employees and disputes with customers – at both courts of first instance and appellate courts.
- Multinational consortium investing in the Nigerian power sector: defence of two multi-million dollar commercial lawsuits for alleged breach of contract.
- Political party and its candidates: representation (at both tribunal and appellate levels) in twenty-one (21) election petitions relating to the 2015 general elections.
- Enugu State Government: drafting of ten executive bills on sundry matters, which were eventually passed into law between 2007 and 2011.
- Real Estate
- Dispute Resolution & Litigation
- Labour & Employment
- Government & Regulatory
- Technology, Media & Telecom
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association
- Associate, Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN)
University of Nigeria (UNN): LL.B.
Nigerian Law School: BL.
Nnamdi Azikwe University: LL.M